The Kitchen Hummingbird: Roasted carrots and cauliflower with orange
- Author: Adam Floyd Jan 17, 2018,
Jan 17, 2018, 6:26
It is not summer here in Chile (in fact it is quite cold with none of the buildings having central heating) but I wanted to continue my stream of delicious summer dishes for everyone back in the U.S. As such, this entry features yet another dish from my Summer dinner, which I introduced with previous entry of Summer Lasagna. Having decided that I would like to have a meal, I would like to have a meal. Looking over my list of recipes to make, I realized I had a ton of, my favorite Spanish food blogger, which I'd never had the chance to prepare. Seizing the opportunity to experiment, I decided my meal theme would be cold foods, using healthy, fresh produce, and recipes from Mikel López Iturriaga's blog, El Comidista.
One of the side dish recipes I settled on these roasted carrots and cauliflower with orange. Roasted Carrots and Cauliflower with Orange(adapted from El Comidista)
i> Ingredients: 2 small heads of cauliflower (one white and the other green or purple or both white if you can not find other colors) 4-8 carrots, depending on their size 1 large orange 1 lemon 2 cloves of garlic 1/2 teaspoon of cumin 1/2 teaspoon of spicy paprika 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar 1 tablespoon of brown sugar Extra virgin olive oil Salt and pepper
Roasted cauliflower with carrot and orange (adapted from El Comidista)Ingredients: For 4-6 people 2 small cauliflowers or carrots depending on size 1 large orange 1 lemon 2 garlic cloves 1/2 teaspoon cumin 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper 1 tablespoon red vinegar 1 tablespoon brown sugar Unsalted olive oil extra
1) Put abundant water with salt to boil in a large saucepan.
2) Peel the carrots and cut them into thick sticks if they are large. Cut the trunk of the cauliflower leaving only the flowers, and remove it for other preparations (a cream, for example).
3) Preheat the oven to 230ºC degrees.
4) Cook the carrots in the water for about 5-10 minutes, until they lose a bit of hardness but they do not make it at all. Take them out and scald the cauliflower in the same water for a minute. Drain everything well.
5) Cut the orange and lemon in two and reserve two halves. Squeeze the other two and mix the juices. 6) Mix in small bowl 2 teaspoons of juice, cumin, paprika, crushed garlic cloves, vinegar, 2 tablespoons oil, salt and pepper.
7) Put cauliflower, carrots, half lemon and half orange on a tray. Grind everything with the marinade and bake for about 20 minutes, until the cauliflower is cooked and golden. If it pains too fast, put silver paper over it.
8) Mix the juice of oranges and lemon without squeezing with 8 tablespoons of olive oil, sugar, salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the cauliflower and carrots and serve. If you like with a bitter spot, you can add to the seasoning the juice of the orange and lemon grilled.