Diary of a singer
- Author: Adam Floyd Sep 21, 2017,
Sep 21, 2017, 6:55
An elite building for an elite orchestra
A new concert hall (Conzerthaus) opened on the Leipziger Straße was the setting for the premiere of an incipient Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra in 1867. Under the direction of Johan Ernst Benjamin Bilse, it began at that time to become the best Philharmonic Orchestra in the world.
It was in 1882 that it became known as the "Philharmonic Orchestra of Berlin "(Berliner Philharmonisches Orchester). Now with the administrative help of organizer and agent Hermann Wolff, a fixed rehearsal spot and concerts were set up at an old skating rink on the Bernburger Straße in the Kreuzberg district. The building was renovated six years later by Franz Heinrich Schwechten, removing the tables to leave the seats alone. Ten years later, in 1898, the premises were extended by adding a new space: the "Beethoven Hall".
At that time the system of fertilizers was already available to the public to enjoy several series of concerts and banned eating, drinking or smoking inside.
Like much of Berlin, the building of the Bernburger Straße was ruined after World War II. And yet, as soon as the bombings in the city were silenced, the orchestra again delighted the Berliners with their music on May 26, 1945, under the direction of Leo Borchard. The performance took place at Titania Palast, a cinema converted into a concert hall and served as a temporary setting for the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra.More news: Feng Shui is Wind and Water
It was Karajan who promoted the construction of a new venue for the orchestra. The architect chosen for his design was the expressionist Hans Scharoun. In 1960 began the works of the building conceived by Scharoun. Its concept was based on the motto "the music in the center point". An original construction from inside to outside, in different phases, of asymmetrical lines and in the center of which is a pentagonal stage completely surrounded by blocks of elevated tiers and at different heights. The interior of the room is finished with hundreds of cylindrical lamps hanging from the ceiling arranged irregularly. The end result is a place with excellent acoustics where from any of the 2,440 seats you can see everything that happens on stage. The fantastic lighting creates a warm and intimate atmosphere and the way the steps around make the center of the true protagonist and pillar of the place: music.
The music in the center < / b>
The building is now located in the center of reunified Berlin. Integrated into the Kulturforum near Postdamer Platz stands alongside the "Kammermusiksaal" built subsequently under the same concept and in the same style as the incomparable "Philharmonie".
As such a place enters the eye but also by the ear I leave you with a beautiful video: