Iran condemns ISIL's terrorist attack in Sinai

At least 10 Egyptian soldiers were killed and several injured when two suicide auto bombers hit army checkpoints in northern Sinai on Friday, security sources said.

"I am disgusted by the terrorist attack on members of the Egyptian Armed Forces as they did their duty in Rafah, North Sinai today", United Kingdom ambassador to Egypt, John Casson, said in a statement posted on his official Twitter account. The military put the casualties lower, and said the attacks had killed and injured a total of 26 soldiers, but did not provide a breakdown of the figure.

Along with killing 40 terrorists, the Egyptian Armed Forces said that six vehicles used during the attacks had been destroyed.

This story is developing.

The UAE has also strongly condemned the terrorist attack, targeting a security patrol in Al Masoura district in Qatif province, Saudi Arabia.

At least 23 Egyptian soldiers were killed and 33 others injured today when terrorists attacked several army checkpoints with vehicle bombs in the restive North Sinai, triggering fierce clashes that left 40 militants dead.

The sources said the militants belong to Sinai-based Sinai State group, which declared loyalty to the Islamic State (IS) group in 2014.

More news: For a week, Fallon retakes the lead from Colbert

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack.

The attack took place in the village of el-Barth just south of the town of Rafah. The militants opened fire on the soldiers with machine guns for almost half an hour, they said.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they aren't authorized to speak to the media.

The dead included a high-ranking special forces officer, Colonel Ahmed el-Mansi, and at least 20 others were wounded in the attack.

Egypt has in recent years been battling a stepped-up insurgency in northern Sinai, mainly by militants from an Islamic State group affiliate.

But over the past months, ISIS has focused its attacks on Egypt's Christian minority.

  • Toni Ryan