Man accused in daughter's death says she died accidentally

Las Vegas police quickly alerted St. Clair County authorities, and they went to search the property where the woman said a body would be found.

A Las Vegas woman told investigators Tuesday that her dead child had been in a southern IL home for two years, and authorities later found human remains in the vacant house, according to authorities.

She says that house was left to Quate who lived there with his wife for a short time before they sold it and moved into the trailer behind it.

That neighbor also said that the couple never owned a auto so she can't figure out how the body got from their house in Belleville to Centreville.

Any charges related to the girl's death would be filed in IL, where investigators found a child's remains in the detached garage of a dilapidated, boarded-up home in an impoverished community just across the Mississippi River from St. Louis. Dye said a forensic anthropologist is investigating and a cause of death has yet to be determined.

Officers found the remains Tuesday morning after a woman in Las Vegas contacted police and told officers her husband had killed their then-6-year-old daughter in IL years earlier and hid the body in the garage of a home in Centreville, near St. Louis. "I begged her to get a real job", he said.

Authorities say human remains have been found after a Las Vegas woman told investigators her dead child had been in a vacant southern IL home for two years. She was arrested Thursday on a fugitive warrant out of St. Clair County for a 2013 forgery case in which prosecutors said she violated her probation. The victim was so badly decomposed investigators could not immediately determine whether the child was a boy or a girl.

More news: Draymond Green laughs off Magic Johnson's claim about sweeping Warriors

The woman said her husband, 34-year-old Jason Quate, was responsible for the child's death in 2015.

She stated that her husband was extremely abusive and had forced her to go out and solicit herself for prostitution and also was physically abusive to the children. Quate has not been charged in his daughter's death.

She said she could not yet release the nature of the charges pending against the man who had been arrested.

Quate declined an interview request on Thursday from The Associated Press. She said she would not allow authorities to enter and check the children's well-being.

The family lived in a multi-unit apartment building in Las Vegas about five miles northeast of the center of the Las Vegas Strip. Raymond Spencer said in a video statement. He told the Post-Dispatch that he had lied to the TV station and that his wife had come up with the adoption story after their daughter died. Both children were taken into protective custody.

Quate said his wife was "not a good mother" and never told her daughters she loved them.

Neighbors said they knew the couple had kids but they were never allowed anyone to see them.

  • Alfonso Moody