USA soldier killed in anti-IS operations in Afghanistan

He was the first USA soldier casualty in Afghanistan in 2017 for the Resolute Support mission, a North Atlantic Treaty Organisation spokesman confirmed to NBC News.

Navy Captain Bill Salvin, a spokesman for the NATO-led Resolute Support mission in Afghanistan, said the soldier was killed late Saturday during an operation in Nangarhar province, though he provided no further details.

A U.S. Special Forces soldier was killed in eastern Afghanistan during a joint operation with Afghan forces against affiliates of the Islamic State, officials said on Sunday.

The soldier was a special forces operator and was killed in the Achin district of Nangarhar province, Salvin told Reuters separately.

The service member was not identified as the Pentagon notifies his next-of-kin.

More news: South Africa's ruling party backs embattled president

A United States soldier was killed Saturday while conducting operations in Afghanistan against ISIS-Khorasan, the local branch of ISIS there.

Nangarhar, which borders Pakistan, is a hotbed of IS militancy and American forces have conducted a number of air strikes on jihadist bases in the area since August past year.

IS, notorious for its reign of terror in Syria and Iraq, has been making inroads into Afghanistan in recent years.

Despite their losses, ISIS loyalists have claimed responsibility for high-profile attacks throughout the country, including the storming of Afghanistan's largest military hospital in Kabul, which killed dozens last month.

This comes a day after the U.S announced it will deploy 1,500 soldiers from Alaska to Afghanistan later this year, the U.S Army announced Friday. Johan. W. Nicholson, commander of U.S. Forces - Afghanistan, late Saturday.

  • Adam Floyd