Girl burned by homemade slime
- Author: Carlos Nash Mar 29, 2017,
Mar 29, 2017, 1:57
"It felt like really hot and tingly", Kathleen told ABC 13. She noticed weeks ago that Kathleen's hands had been more sensitive than usual and thought perhaps eczema had caused the reaction.
Parents are being warned about a popular kids craft that can be downright unsafe after an 11-year-old MA girl was badly burned making slime.
The girl was at a sleepover the weekend of March 18 when she woke up in agonizing pain.
By the time Quinn made it home, she had blisters covering her hands, her mother, Siobhan Quinn, told the news outlet.
But Quinn's creations included Borax One as a key ingredient, which doctors believe are likely the cause of her injuries.
Consumer Reports' chief scientific officer, James Dickerson, has warned about the dangers of using Borax, which is meant to be a household cleaner or an additive for laundry, but many parents still use it.
The young girl's parents brought her to the hospital and she was treated for second- and third-degree burns.More news: Euro may tumble to 15-year low if Le Pen wins
Take a look on-line and the DIY slime recipe is everywhere. Thankfully, Kathleen is expected to make a full recovery.
Michaels has installed "Slime Headquarters" on aisle endcaps, with displays sporting glue and slime mix-ins like beads and glitter, according to the Associated Press.
Borax sales are also on the rise because it's a key ingredient in making slime.
"So we believe that it's something that should be used exclusively for its intended goal as a cleaner or a laundry booster, not as something for children, particularly, young children, to play around with in making things like slime".
It's composed of water, glue, and a household cleaner, known as Borax.
It is unclear whether Borax was used in her daughter's slime.