Trump to remove Iraq from 'Muslim Ban' list
- Author: Rita Burton Mar 02, 2017,
Mar 02, 2017, 0:44
Trump's original executive order, signed a week after he entered the White House, banned citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries - Iraq, Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen - from entering the United States for 90 days, and temporarily suspended the entry of all refugees.
On February 3, a federal judge in Seattle temporarily froze the enforcement of Trump's first immigration ban. The paper also wrote that learning from the previous experience, the White House administration could implement the order at a date later than the signing date.
The president and his aides said they will not give up and will return with a new order, saying they felt extreme vetting was necessary to keep out "bad dudes", as Trump has said in multiple tweets and remarks.More news: Wilbur Ross sworn in as U.S. secretary of commerce
Four officials say the decision follows pressure from the Pentagon and State Department, the AP reported. Trump delayed plans to sign a reworked travel ban in the wake of positive reaction to his first address to Congress, a senior administration official told CNN.
Trump initially planned to sign the new order last week, but spokesman Sean Spicer said the president was holding off "to make sure that when we execute this, it's done in a manner that's flawless".
Civic right lawyers and activists swung into action in the U.S., and challenged the order in court, and obtained a stay in NY. It's expected to only apply to future visa applicants from the seven (or six) countries, not legal permanent residents or current visa holders.