Georges St-Pierre Will Challenge Michael Bisping For UFC Middleweight Title

The UFC legend has resolved his contract issues with the promotion and will face the UK's first ever champion in a massive return clash.

A battle between St-Pierre and reigning UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping had been rumored for months.

The pair will hold a press conference on Friday but no date or venue has been confirmed other than the fight will happen in the second half of 2017.

It looks like he'll be waiting a little longer, though, with the likes of Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza also wanting a crack at the gold - but fans probably won't complain if the two have a rematch while Bisping is busy.

St-Pierre hasn't fought since he defeated Johny Hendricks in a controversial split-decision victory at UFC 167 back in 2013. You wanna study the fight? St-Pierre then vacated the title and took time off.

Bisping won the middleweight title last June by beating Luke Rockhold. The Montreal mixed martial arts star then took a hiatus, saying he needed time away from the sport.

More news: New York Mets' David Wright iffy for Opening Day with shoulder impingement

Last month, White mentioned St-Pierre had broached the possibility of moving down to 155 pounds.

"I personally wasn't a believer but we got together in Las Vegas, had dinner and we got a deal done".

"Not even close", White said when asked how close he was to making a fight between St-Pierre and McGregor.

It's official, George "Rush" St-Pierre will be fighting Michael Bisping for the middleweight title.

It seemed apparent that Yoel Romero was likely the next contender to Bisping's title, even after White himself said that was the fight to make.

St-Pierre admitted last year that he was anxious he would regret, years down the line, not coming back, especially because he felt "right now that I'm at my best ..."

  • Desiree Holland