Trump travel ban chaos deepens after courts reject order
- Author: Alfonso Moody Feb 06, 2017,
Feb 06, 2017, 1:00
A federal judge in Seattle on Friday ordered a temporary, nationwide halt to President Donald Trump's ban on travelers from seven Muslim-majority countries, in the most severe legal blow to the controversial measure.
Mr Trump's executive decision led to widespread protests and demonstrations across the U.S. and other parts of the world.
Trump's January 27 executive order barred citizens Syria, Sudan, Iran, Yemen, Somalia, Iraq and Libya from travel to the United States for 90 days and suspended the U.S. refugee programs for 120 days - and indefinitely for Syrians.
The State Department announced that they have reversed the cancellation of visas under President Donald Trump's executive order.
"Judge Robart's decision, effective immediately, effective now, puts a halt to President Trump's unconstitutional and unlawful executive order".
That was footage-also given to Slate by Goldberg-of USA citizens telling stories of being kicked off of US soil as they attempted to get USA officials to abide by a court order and return the visas of these Americans' loved ones.
The White House, which has argued that the temporary ban is necessary to increase its vetting procedures and to prevent potential terrorists from entering the USA, issued its own response condemning the court order.More news: See a 'firehose' of lava shooting into the ocean
President Trump doubled-down on his online criticism of Judge James Robart on Sunday, saying the federal judge and the court would be to blame "if something happens".
"The U.S. will now file some type of motion requesting a stay, and a brief which argues why the 9th Circuit should grant it", said Carl Tobias, a law professor at the University of Richmond in Virginia who has been following the litigation.
Judge Gorton on Friday asked US Justice Department lawyer Joshua Press how the seven countries had been selected.
"The Constitution prevailed today", Washington Attorney General Bob Ferguson said in a statement sent to reporters.
He also tweeted on Saturday that some Middle Eastern countries agreed with the ban because "they know if certain people are allowed in it's death & destruction!"